"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have". - Frederick Koenig

Friday, February 11, 2011

No Rhyme or Reason



So, it's been a minute since my last post, and I kind of skipped out on my PhotoHunt this week too.  I guess I really just haven't felt like writing much recently.  Feels like the folly has been a little harder to find the past few days, which is, quite UNfortunate.  I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the fact that winter, and all of it's cold weather, continues to loom over even though spring is being heavily marketed everywhere.  I feel like I've been stuck in some souvenir snow globe trying to break my way out to what I know must be spring on the other side of the glass.  I suppose sometimes it pays to remember that winter is, by definition, a cold season in these parts; acknowledge and move on.

Anyway, because 'the creative muses' haven't been inspiring me to write recently, I figured maybe I could turn things around a bit and do a little reading to get the proverbial 'creative juices flowing'.  There was a time when I used to immerse myself in reading poetry, which has taken a backseat for more than several years, but with Valentine's Day right around the corner, I thought it appropriate to maybe take a peek again at some of the poems I used to enjoy and share them with you over the next few days.  Maybe they will put you in mind of something you had forgotten just like they did me.  I know it's a little different (and possibly somewhat cheesy), but I do hope you enjoy!

A moment of happiness


A moment of happiness
you and I sitting of the verandah
apparently two, but one in soul, you and I.

We feel the flowing water of life here, 
you and I, with the garden's beauty 
and the birds singing.

The stars will be watching us, 
and we will show them 
what it is to be a thin crescent moon.

You and I unselfed, will be together, 
indifferent to idle speculation, you and I.

The parrots of heaven will be cracking sugar 
as we laugh together, you and I.

In one form upon this earth, 
and in another form in a timeless sweet land.


-Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi

 From:
 Kulliyat-e Shams, 2114


"We love: that's why life is full of so many wonderful gifts". - Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment