"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have". - Frederick Koenig

Friday, May 20, 2011

Drink of the Moment: Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur



I had been eyeing the Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur in the isle now for quite some time.  Sitting there with it's chic iced glass bottle with curves like bamboo and dramatic black label contrasted against the warm amber color of the liquid, I was sure it would taste as elegant and sophisticated as it looked.  Every time up until now though I had always walked out of the store with a different bottle of inspiration. I knew I was missing out on something, and in this case, good things do come to those who wait.  I am glad to say that I am no longer missing out.

Not that waiting really had anything to do with it at all, but this stuff is amazing.  The color, the scent, and most importantly the flavor is absolutely alluring.  I usually try to taste things in their purest form prior to mixing them in a drink if I can.  Sometimes, that rule of thumb leads to a bit of regret that later becomes way more pleasant when mixed properly, but this dear friends can be enjoyed all by its lonesome - maybe with a little ice if you like.  Of course, not being one to champion lack of experimentation I had to do a little mixing to find a yummy concoction that would highlight my fabulous new find.

After some trial and error, this emerged as my favorite Domaine de Canton cocktail so far.


THE CANTON COOLER

1/2 PART DOMAINE DE CANTON
1/2 PART DARK RUM
1 1/2 PARTS FRESH LIME JUICE
1/2 PART SIMPLE SYRUP
RASPBERRIES (to taste)
FRESH ROSEMARY (to taste)


Muddle raspberries and rosemary with simple syrup. Build in all other ingredients. Shake and strain.  Garnish with a sprig of rosemary or lime zest. 


Not a huge fan of super sweet drinks, I was a little hesitant at first, but this little cocktail wrapped a whole bunch of flavors into one little glass.  The bright ginger, lime, and raspberry flavors are wonderfully complimented by the almost smokey sweet flavor of the dark rum, and the savory flavor of the rosemary.  Also nice is the idea that you can sweeten it with a little more syrup if you do prefer a more sugary beverage.  I would imagine you could also top with some prosecco or champagne if you want to add some fun fizz.

If the rum doesn't set that well with your tastes, you might also try some Absolut Wild Tea in it's place.  This takes away some of the depth of flavor that the rum adds, and instead keeps it altogether light with a hint of elderflower.  Both are yummy in my opinion, and ask to be sipped on more than once!

No comments:

Post a Comment