"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have". - Frederick Koenig

Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Year's Invitations



While 'celebrating' David Bowie's birthday yesterday with some fabulous dancing in crazy looking pajamas in my bedroom, it occurred to me that I was singing along word for word with song lyrics that I'd never really listened to ... I mean cognizantly listened to and thought about what they mean to me.  When I stopped for a second to actually think about what was coming out of my mouth, it occurred to me that maybe I should have paid attention a lot sooner than now.

I then started to wonder how many times things like that happen throughout the day, or week, or month, that are right in front of my face without me noticing, and how many overlooked experiences resulted from just doing the zombie walk through the daily routine without really paying attention to what is going on outside of it all.  I mean, I think I can say that there is a reasonable comfort to that daily zombie walk through the routine sometimes; it may be the only thing that gets us through that particular day, but seriously, I think I've been leaning on that waaay too much recently and am sure that I have missed some wonderful opportunities because of it.

So, I think my new year's resolution, or let's call it a goal for good luck's sake, for 2011 is really going to be to try and break out of my own 'default' mode and focus on pushing myself to get more involved and have fun -- really wringing out the juicy parts of life and making them last.  After 2009 and 2010, something really has to give, and at this point I can only count on being in control of my own outlook and reaction to make my days (and nights) the way that I want them to be.  I am going to invite more fun and silly into life and really get excited about exploring new things again - like getting back in touch with my writing self through this blog, for example.   Soooo, I'm putting it out there to the world and inviting in the excitement, activity, and spontaneity back into my life.  I'm listening now world, paying attention so go ahead and RSVP because I'm definitely welcoming the world this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment