"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have". - Frederick Koenig

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Drink of the Moment: Sloe and Fizzy

So, I know I kind of ghosted there for a while due to some birthday fun (and a short mental break, or deficit if you will), but I figured what better way to come back than with another fabulous drink of the moment.  This one is so fresh off the presses that I am actually sipping on this week's cocktail right now and couldn't wait to share.

I'm sure a lot of folks have heard of the Sloe Gin Fizz, but like me, had never actually had one.  Since the 'fizz' was said to have been the 'hometown' drink in New Orleans between 1900 and 1950, I figured it would also work well with our own 'in house' Mardi Gras celebration this year offering the perfect time to give it a try. There are two ways the cocktail seems to be prepared - one with egg white, and one without.  The preparation of the drink without egg white seemed like a no-brainer as it just looked good, but the egg white option was the one that really made me curious, and I'm certainly glad that it did.  Because I couldn't really find a single recipe that I liked that combined everything, I pretty much ended up with my own hybrid.

My Sloe Gin Fizz


1 oz  Sloe Gin
1 oz  Gin
1 oz  Simple Syrup or Agave Syrup
3/4 oz Lemon juice
1 oz  Egg White (optional but recommended)
3-4 oz Club Soda


Shake first 5 ingredients in a shaker with ice.  Pour into a collins glass and top with Club Soda. 

How easy is that?!?!

Now, while I know the egg white might throw some off, it really does major things for the cocktail.  Aside from making it have a delightfully long lasting foamy fizz on top, it also seems to act as a conduit for all of the flavors, therefore making it seem way more flavorful and a tad sweeter.  And who couldn't use a little extra protein with their boozy beverage?!?  While this is my preference for at least the first drink, I do think it might get a little too sweet in multiples, so leaving the egg white out might be a better option for those who want to go for marathon consumption.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I will have this drink the next time the opportunity presents itself - with the egg.
    That alone has made it for me.
    Yo adrian!!
    Seriously, it happening 1st chance.

    ReplyDelete