Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
4 whole heads of garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup heavy cream (per your preference)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F; line a small baking sheet with foil. Use a sharp knife to cut about 1/4 inch off top of each garlic head. Place garlic cut side up on baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over heads. Roast garlic until softened, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, squeeze soft cooked pulp from each clove into a small bowl. (You should have about 1/2 cup soft garlic pulp.) Note: We prefer to roast the garlic in peeled, separated cloves for convenience & exceptional garlic dipping oil for later.
3. Remove from heat and puree soup with an immersion blender in the pot, or in batches with a food processor, or blender. Return to pot, if applicable, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with thyme.
P.S. - That garlic infused olive oil that is left in your roasting pan? It's kind of like the stocking stuffer to the whole soup thing. (Jay really is a genius sometimes). I highly recommend topping it with a dash of crushed red pepper flakes and enjoying it with some rosemary foccacia bread alongside your soup. :)