"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have". - Frederick Koenig

Friday, April 15, 2011

RVa Pollen Bomb

I always have such a love/hate relationship with the spring.  This week for instance, I have been relishing in the warmer, sunny weather we've been having, but all the while suffering immensely from the annual pollen bomb it brings with it.  Even after having my daily dose of Zyrtec and my nightly dose of Benadryl, by mid-day I find myself being overcome by an overwhelming allergy coma that leads me to demonstrate zombie-like behaviors with an attention span of gnat for the rest of the day and it seems to keep getting continually worse.  Richmond being the named the 'Asthma Capital of the Country' for the second year in a row and #8 in the country for the worst allergies probably doesn't help my situation very much.   I'm zoning out on files at work, finding myself staring at random things, and probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle in good conscious.  Everything outside is yellow from window sills to sidewalks are covered with spring residue.  THIS is what our car looks like (can you see it under that lovely thick yellow film?),


and THIS is what the ground beside the car (and the sidewalk) look like.


Gross.

Along with all of this nonsense, it's of course the time of year to pot herbs for the summer and get the back patio ready for Easter weekend and the brutal summer months ahead, which means I am, or course, going to drag myself outside in the middle of toxic fallout this weekend in order to surround myself with more flowering plants in pots.  Since I don't own a hazmat suit, don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for at least a week afterwards.

I suppose it wouldn't be fair to leave you with only the downside of this picture.  I mean, there is a reason that all of this pollen is flying around right now, and as much as I grumble about all of its unpleasant excrement, I can't help but enjoy it when nature does all of its peacocking.  Here are some shots I got while taking Olivia on a walk.




Tomorrow, I'll be sure to share what will probably be my last Audrey III update for the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment